My apologies for being horribly late. Now that you’ve forgiven me, let’s get on with it already:
● Liverpool beat an average-looking Manchester United 2-1.
● Arsenal hammered Blackburn Rovers by 4 goals to nil.
● Fulham edged Bolton Wanderers 2-1 in a relegation six-pointer.
● The madhouse that is Newcastle United crashed to a 1-2 home defeat at the hands of Hull City.
● Portsmouth defeated Middlesbrough by 2 goals to 1.
● West Bromwich Albion narrowly beat West Ham United by a scoreline of 3-2.
● Wigan Athletic drew 1-1 with Sunderland. Titus Bramble on the scoresheet… for Sunderland. Yup, own goal.
● Everton beat Stoke City 3-2.
● Tottenham Hotspur remain rooted to the foot of the table with a 1-2 home loss against Aston Villa.
● Manchester City were brought back to earth with a 1-3 humbling by Chelsea.
A quick look at the table:
So, Chelsea reminded the noveau-rich Manchester City that ‘one swallow does not a summer make’ and that it takes a ‘team’ to actually do the business on the pitch. The win was however marred by a stupid red card to John Terry, which has now been rescinded.
That’s it, then. Champions League updates shall follow after all groups have completed their first round of matches.