So the first round of the Barclays Premier League is over and most of the results were quite predictable. Here’s a roundup of this weekend’s action:
- Fulham suffered a 1-2 defeat at the hands of newcomers Hull City. Geovanni scored a corker.
- Arsenal just edged it 1-0 against another promoted side, West Bromwich Albion, with Samir Nasri marking his BPL debut with a goal.
- Middlesbrough beat Tottenham(or as some like to say, TopFour-enham) by a score of 2-1.
- Paul Ince’s Blackburn Rovers got off to a perfect start by beating Everton 3-2. Some very late drama there.
- Bolton Wanderers reminded Stoke City about the hardships of life in the top flight with a 3-1 win. Great (but a fluke) goal by Steinsson in this one.
- West Ham United beat Wigan Athletic by 2 goals to 1, thanks to a brace from Dean Ashton, who then got himself injured. Predictably.
- A lacklustre Liverpool scraped through against Sunderland by 1 goal to nil. Torres to the rescue!
- Agbonlahor scored a hat-trick as Aston Villa trounced Manchester City. 4-2 the score in that one.
- The two Uniteds – Manchester United and Newcastle United – played out a 1-1 draw.
- Ahh, and finally to the best result of the lot. Chelsea thumped Portsmouth 4-0.
And this is how the table looks like after the 1st round of matches:
Bosingwa looks like the real deal and could be the solution to the right-back problems that have plagued us for so long. As for Deco, the man has got a point to prove to his former club Barcelona and boy, is he on the right track! A man-of-the-match performance in midfield topped off with a debut goal. What more could you ask for?
Overall, Chelsea were a delight to watch, probably the best performance I’ve seen from them in a long time. Felipao seems to have removed the shackles from the players and given them a lot more freedom to express themselves. And the outcome was there to be seen. As they say, ‘It’s just like watching Brazil!’.
Hopefully there’s a lot more to come from this team over the course of the season and we’ll be at the top again, come May. CAREFREE!!